Wednesday, April 23, 2008

This Just In....

Hello to all of you out there in blogger-land. Today's post comes from a guest writer, the one and only Ber. I've been thinking about joining this little blogging family myself, but every time I get pumped about it, my professors decide they own my soul. So Jonny, in pure Jonny fashion, pointed out the obvious: I can just post on his blog! Now I get the best of both worlds, both school and internet.


So anywho... Today was one of those days when I was confirmed in one of my life choices. I went to a conference at the Collin County Community College about abuse awareness and prevention in children. Listening to the presentations I couldn't find anything boring which was a victory in and of itself since I had been up since 5:45 am (not the morning person this one!) I just felt like I knew I was one the right track with my career choice. I can't wait to the day that I get to work with families and children who need someone in their corner.


I have also noticed that being a budding psychologist apparently means I am uber aware of those odd research stories on sites like CNN and Yahoo- you know like the ones that make claims like: "This just in! Peanuts make your Hippocampus function better!" Well, tonight I was checking the weather (we are in a severe storm watch) and I saw the follow title: "Mother's Diet Can Help Determine Sex of Child." With my interest peaked, I clicked the link. In a nut shell, moms-to-be who consumed a wide range of nutrients, such as potassium, calcium and vitamins C,E, and B12, in addition to eating more calories had boys. Jonny and I have often discussed how male-heavy this generation of the Dent -clan is, so with this new info, I wanna know what the Sisters ate during their pregnancies. Lets have our own research project! If you wanna that is :)

Signing off for now!
-Ber





3 comments:

Unknown said...

I actually read that story last night too. It also said if you have more sugar, like cereal in the morning. I am definitely a ceraeal girl. I also took vitimins and tried to eat healthy and probably did have more calories. Guess I need to stare myself and go on an adkins diet for a girl.

Anonymous said...

You know I like to eat. I certainly fit intot he more calories category.

Candace said...

Okay, I'm a little late on commenting... I don't know how I missed this one.

I don't know that I ate any differently when having Anna Grace or Zeke. I know after I was already pregnant (and therefore sex already determined), I ate differently (egg rolls for Zeke, cheeseburgers for Anna Grace). I'm sure there were differences. Wish I had thought to make a note of it.
Interesting post, Amber!
Had a GREAT time with you and the fam last night!!!